Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Seed Bombs?

I came across these on a design website this afternoon - I have to admit, I was intrigued. I have never heard of such a thing.

I did a quick Google search which, to my horror (delight), revealed the underbelly of the gardening scene. Apparently Guerrilla Gardening is all the rage in bustling metropolises on the coasts (read - New York and L.A.)

In order to be a rouge gardener, you need seed bombs (or seed grenades, as they are sometimes called). You take the "bomb" which is made of a compressed ball of soil containing live vegetation and drop (or throw, with sound effects) them into neglected or vacant spaces that - gasp - don't belong to you. Guerrilla gardeners use these bombs to beautify their environments in secret.

(Some guerrilla gardeners wake up before dawn to plant abandoned expanses of earth the old fashioned way. They may continue to visit the plot to weed and maintain their crop.)

Who says gardening can't be edgy?

Learn more about the movement at guerrillagardening.org.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share