Friday, February 5, 2010

Caladiums, Part Two?

These gems are planted beneath my Sycamore tree. I love how the shade from the tree plays up the white in the leaves.

I swear I have blogged about caladiums before, but my handy search tool didn't return any results...so, below is my tribute to caladiums, one of my favorites (perhaps for the second time):

If you are looking for plants to spice up your shady areas, consider caladiums.

Caladiums are often called elephant ears and have large, variegated leaves. They come in several varieties offering a wide variety of colors and sizes. Plan to buy the corms in March to take advantage of a greater selection early in the season. (There's nothing worse than being stuck with the varieties no one else wanted, unless you happen to love those varieties - then maybe you can get them on sale.)

Caladiums should be planted some time in April, once temperatures are consistently warm and the danger of frost has passed.

Try pairing them in mass with white Begonias. The shade will help the white blooms "pop" and create a great compliment to the foliage.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share