Thursday, August 28, 2008

Get Dressed

This is a new Japanese Maple, planted this summer. You can see the mulched border in the left of the photo, and the mulch around the Sycamore in the center.

Fall is a perfect time to top dress any mulch you have in your landscape. Take advantage of a cool day to cross this chore off your list.

I have A LOT of mulch in my landscape. I have a mulched border around my back yard and two mulched beds in the front. Likewise, I have a mulch ring around my trees.

Mulch holds moisture and keeps weeds down, naturally. It is a perfect way to cut down on mowing and watering needs in your lawn, while still creating an inviting landscape. I have planted several shrubs in my border and even added some trees last spring.

If you haven't used mulch in your landscape before, consider doing so now. You won't regret it.

(When mulching around trees, be sure to avoid piling mulch around the trunk. This can lead to rotting.)

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share