Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pruning Roses


I have a few knockout roses that are struggling right now. Part of the reason, is that they need to be deadheaded. (I know, I know, nurseries say you do not need to deadhead knockout roses, but I really think it encourages blooming!)

I use a pair of hand pruners to cut the spent bloom back to the first set of five leaves. (Follow the stem from the bloom and you will first encounter one or two sets of three leaves, wait until you reach the first set of five to make your cut.)

The second thing my roses likely need is fertilizer. I am going to put down a slow-release fertilizer this spring to see how it affects next year's growing season.

All-in-all if you are looking for a nice flowering shrub, it doesn't get any easier than knockout roses.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share