Monday, September 28, 2009

Irrigation Winterization


If you live in the Midwest, it is time to start thinking about winterizing your irrigation system.

If you have an above-ground backflow, it is important to schedule your appointment sooner rather than later to avoid damage from a surprise, early freeze.

"Winterizing" your system involves blowing all the water out of the system to prevent breaks due to freezing and thawing.

If you water the old-fashioned way, like I do, it is important to drain all hoses and store them in the garage for winter.*

*Winter is never the reason I have had a hose fail. My problem is that I keep a spray attachment on the end of the hose and I am absentminded. TWICE, I have left the water on without realizing it. This makes the pressure in the hose build up, until the hose itself splits. Broken hose = annoyed husband.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share