Friday, September 25, 2009

It's Time to Order Bulbs

"Ronaldo'"
Photo from White Flower Farm

It's not too early to order your spring-flowering bulbs. (I usually plant mine in October.) This year, I am getting Tulips and Hyacinths.

Things to consider before planting:

Site: Will the flowers do better in full sun, shade or a mixture of both.

Planting Depth: Planting bulbs at the wrong depth will prevent them from coming up properly next spring.

Bloom Time: Select bulbs that have a variety of bloom times. I am going to plant a bed of early, mid and late blooming tulips to prolong my enjoyment.

(I REALLY love tulips. Martha said she planted tulips every two years at Turkey Hill. I treat them as an annual, because as much as I hope, they just don't come back the second year.)

Finally, don't err and plant the bulbs upside down. I don't *think* I have ever done this, but every year as I am planting I have to get reassurance from Tom that I am planting the bulbs properly. It is a weird anxiety of mine.

If you aren't ordering bulbs online, be sure to go to gardening centers early. The best varieties will sell out quickly.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share