Friday, March 13, 2009

Early Seeding


There have been some bare areas in my lawn in back that are in a high-traffic area partially under a large pin oak tree. I have some landscape beds under part of the tree and around my house in back. I would really like some lawn on the other side of my oak tree, so I thought to try and overseed these areas before it got any later into the spring.

When seeding in the spring, earlier is better. By getting your seed down early, it has a chance to absorb water without actually beginning to grow. (The soil temperatures are too cold.) Once the soil temperatures warm, this seed has a head start and can start growing.

When doing any lawn seeding project, it is important to choose your seed carefully. Great seed makes a great lawn! I used Gold Tag seed because it has zero percent “weed seed,” and zero percent “other crop”. Even a tiny percentage of either of these two categories would lead to potentially thousands of weeds in my new lawn!

My husband & I broadcast the seed by hand and worked it into the soil. Hopefully we will be successful and will have a thicker lawn in a few months. I’ll keep you posted.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share