Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Vegetable Garden?

It is okay to plant onions in the Midwest at this time.
Plant them close together if you want more green onions as pictured above.

I talked to my parents on Sunday to find out that after several years of non-gardening, they are once again planting a vegetable garden. (It sounded like they already had planted a few veggies--Mom, you must have missed my post about the possibility of a late cold snap!)

Today, I came home and my husband had tilled up his garden plot as well. He is still trying to figure out what to plant this year--we have a squirrel/rabbit problem that has affected our yield the last three years.

I am actually looking forward to the whole growing food thing this year. I *may* even help with the planting and watering. (I definitely draw the line at weeding!)

If you live in the Midwest, and want to get your own vegetable garden started, now is the time to plant onions. Plant them close together if you want to harvest the stalks (green onions) and further apart if you want to eat the bulb. It is also okay to plant cabbage and broccoli, if you are so inclined.

Happy planting (and eating)!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share