Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Another Landscape Dream

Photo from Noel Zia Lee via Flickr

I have always wanted a saucer magnolia. (And by always, I mean since I got into the green industry a little over 3 years ago). My husband DOES NOT share this dream.

Why? Because the huge, beautiful flowers eventually become huge, pink blobs on the sidewalk and driveway once the blooms fall. He's a practical guy. (He did say I could plant a saucer magnolia if I promised to clean up after it every year, which, honestly, is a commitment I can't make.)

This scenario brings up a valid point--before planting your "dream" tree, think of the upkeep that might be involved. Cursing the previous owner of your home for planting a sweet gum? Perhaps they just didn't think of raking tons of spiky balls every fall when they put it in the ground. Not sure if there are hidden pitfalls of a certain tree? Ask your neighbor who has one, or, call the local extension agent and get their opinion.

What is your dream tree?

P.S. Had a minor glitch with automatic posting yesterday...which means TWO posts today!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share