Thursday, April 9, 2009

Ash Flower Gall

Ash flower gall is caused by a microscopic mite that feeds on the male flowers. The feeding causes the tree to produce lots of flower buds which results in the formation of galls. These galls start out green, and then turn brown to black. The galls can persist over winter.

Ash flower gall is a cosmetic problem. The certified arborists at Ryan Lawn & Tree do not recommend treatment in this case. If your tree is small, the growths can be removed through pruning, but they do not harm the tree if left on it.

This picture is of some old galls from last season. Ash trees have not flowered yet around the Kansas City area. I’ll have to keep my eye open to see if I can catch some before they have a chance to turn color. If I do, I’ll be sure to share!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share