Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My First Transplant


I have heard of people "moving" plants in their landscape from one spot to another.* I have never attempted this...until yesterday afternoon.

My Grandma has been wanting some Vinca Major to plant in a mulched bed around a Silver Maple tree. I told her I would bring her some from our office. (I think she was expecting it last fall.) Yesterday, when she was in town Larry Ryan harvested several of the plants, which she will be able to plant in her yard. (I held the bag and made sure all the little plants made it to Grandma.)

Vinca is a great ground cover for mulched borders. Larry says it is too coarse for the front yard. I think if it will grow, and the bunnies won't eat it, plant it where you like.

*Before we met, my husband transplanted a rhododendron in our front yard. It is still alive and kicking today, although it isn't the most vigorous plant. Also, "rhododendron" was often misspelled in the spelling bee at my elementary school. I practiced spelling it, so that I would not repeat this mistake. Unfortunately, I misspelled "sacrifice" and was the runner up in the last bee of my elementary career. Fortunately, the second runner up also got to attend the district spelling bee AND miss an entire day of school, so I was a pretty happy camper.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share