Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Feeding the Birds

I really enjoy the feathered friends that come to visit my back yard. Favorites of my family include the goldfinches and cardinals. Now that the weather is warming, the goldfinches are regaining their golden color again. We also have a pair of cardinals (a male and female) that frequent our feeder. They nest nearby and last summer one of their babies ventured into our yard. What a treat!

It is important to provide a clean food (and water) source to birds. I provide food year round because they bring such enjoyment. The long tube-like feeder on the left is for goldfinches. Did you know they can feed upside down? Other birds cannot do that, so only goldfinches can feed here.

The feeder on the right is a “squirrel proof” feeder. It has springs that shut the feeder when a squirrel lands on it. I got it on sale last fall from Ace Hardware because we had such a problem with squirrels. I have also seen them at Walmart (and probably other stores as well.) I would highly recommend it!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share