Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Rose Cane Borers

I've been concerned about my roses (the same ones that had aphids earlier in the year). I noticed some of the stems wilting and turning brown. I got out my felco hand pruner and cut out the dead branches. They are pictured above.

Upon closer examination, I noticed the center of the cane was hollow (see above). I think I am seeing the evidence left behind by a rose cane borer. I did a little research and the best defense to this pest is careful monitoring. Prune out affected branches as soon as they are noticed. You need to prune down past where the cane is hollow, then seal off the pruning cut with a drop of Elmer's glue. Some experts recommended putting a drop of food coloring in the glue so you can keep track of the cuts that you've sealed as you prune your roses. I think I will try it! I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share