Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Weigela


I wanted to post this picture of my weigela while it was in flower. Last year we planted some new plants in our landscaping beds and these weigela were one of the plants that we chose. Since they were newly planted, they didn't flower for us last season. This spring they are just covered in flowers!

There a number of different weigela out there. I have to admit, I'm not sure what the name of mine are. The tag said 'Minuet', but I think these were maybe tagged incorrectly. (Minuet is supposed to be green foliage tinged w/ purple. I don't really see any purple tinge.) I liked the idea of the purplish foliage as some variety against the St. John's Wort and perennials that I have in the same bed.

I really like the flowers though. Weigela attract hummingbirds and butterfly, two favorites of mine to watch. I encourage you to check out this plant at your local garden center.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share