Thursday, July 9, 2009

Aloe Vera

Original Photo Here

Today I was researching plants with good fall color. I came across the autumn crocus. It is actually a member of the lily family and grows from a corm. They leaf out in the summer and bloom in the fall. They have pretty purple flowers. The plants are poisonous, which may be why they aren't used very much in landscapes. They plant material is used to make medicines to treat gout, however.

Reading about the plant's medicinal properties reminded me of the aloe vera plant that we had in our house growing up. I would always break off a piece to treat a burn from the oven, stove, or, more likely, the curling iron. (No straightener then. Not in vogue.)

The gooey, sticky plant was just the thing to soothe a burn. I have to get one for my current home, I think. Sure, you can buy a plastic bottle full of the stuff, but is that as fun as breaking off a piece of the real, live plant, pressing it on your skin, and being one with nature? I didn't think so.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share