Monday, July 27, 2009

Bagworm Update

You may think I am obsessed with bagworms. I'll be honest - maybe you are right. I've known about them for some time, but I've never paid much attention to them during the season (I've only seen the bags that they overwinter in). That was until this year. I'm totally fascinated with them!

I was walking with my family yesterday and we walked by the large cedar near my house that is infested with bagworms. The bagworms are getting quite large now; most people notice them on their landscape plants at this size. It has been fun to observe these insects in action with my kids. I snapped this picture yesterday. Look closely at the picture above - you can see the bagworm emerged from it's bag while it is feeding on the foliage.

My husband removed the bag from one of them. In case you were wondering what the insect looks like without the protective bag, I thought to share this picture.

If you need help controlling bagworms on your property, contact a tree company (like Ryan Lawn & Tree) for assistance.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share