Friday, July 17, 2009

Purple Coneflower

My purple coneflower are really blooming now. They are in the same bed as the rudbeckia that I wrote about yesterday. They are in an area that is in more sun. I got these (can you guess?) from someone who was cleaning out their garden. I can't wait until they grow a little more and provide even more color. They are a nice backdrop behind my daylilies.

This drought-resistant perennial flower has undergone breeding and now comes in colors other than pink-ish purple. You can find them in white, as well as shades of yellow and orange. Like my rudbeckia, I will deadhead them until fall to encourage continued blooming. Then I will leave any spent blooms for the finches to feed on. The gold finches love them!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share