Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Growing Apple Seeds!

I like to snack on apple with cheese. Yesterday at work I sliced up my apple for a snack. I was so amazed at what I found that I had to snap this picture. Look closely at the seeds - they have germinated! I couldn't believe my eyes. I've never seen apple seeds (or any seeds for that matter) that have germinated (or started to grow) while still inside the fruit. I would think the fruit would contain a chemical to inhibit (or prevent) germination. The apple was still yummy, so it didn't affect the taste of the apple.

Have you ever seen seeds that have germinated while still inside their fruit? If so, please share your story. I think it's very interesting!

1 comment:

Dennis H. Mogil, ABR®, GRI said...

Over the past two months, I have started 30 seedlings from sprouts in the apples I was eating. The roots are difficult to see as they are white in an almost white apple and I came across the first by chance. I place them on a paper towel folded over four times to allow for plenty of moisture without them sitting in water. After the first set of leaves I plant in individual pots on my deck in central NY. The largest is about 4" of very healthy stem and leaves. Most of them have been from Empire apples and regardless of whether they produce apples or what type, they will be welcome additions to the landscape and interesting gifts to friends and neighbors.

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share