Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Golden St. John's Wort


I've always thought the flower of golden St. Johns wort (Hypericum frondosum 'Sunburst') was really neat. (I snapped the picture above to share for those of you who are unfamiliar with the plant). The color is to bright and cheery and the stamens make it unusual. The flowers cover the plant for the majority of the summer and are a nice contrast to its bluish-green foliage.
In winter, the exfoliating bark provides interest. I've noticed bumble bees are very attracted to my plants in the front landscape beds where I have them planted.

I was doing a little research about this plant before I wrote about it. I've learned that they are native to the southeastern United States. I also found it surprising that they have an average life expectancy of 4-6 years. I'd still recommend them!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share