Friday, July 3, 2009

Deadheading Roses

My roses need some deadheading! I started this project at the beginning of the week so I can encourage more blooms. If you need to deadhead your roses, look for the first set of 5 leaves beneath the spent bloom to make your cut. (You may need to look down the cane a little ways to find a set of 5 leaves. There are often a few sets of 3 leaves right below the bloom.) Cut at a 45 degree angle slightly above the set of 5 leaves using a bypass pruner. If cane boring insects are a problem, seal the cut with elmer's glue.

I didn't get this project finished. I remember I had some trouble with these roses earlier in the year and thought cane boring insects may be to blame. I think I will get some elmer's glue to seal the pruning cuts before I continue!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark or Share